ProgramsNest Protection | Turtle Trauma & Egg Recovery | Education | Advocacy
Nest Protection Program
- Sale of nest protectors built by volunteers, following design based off the CFW design: https://www.turtleskingston.com/build-nest-protector
- Agreement with City of Kingston for protection of nests on their properties following specific procedure (outlined on their website).
- Goal is to provide the public with materials and information to help them protect turtle nests.
Turtle Trauma Program
- Helping injured turtles get treatment and extracting eggs when necessary.
- Participating vets act as a temporary holding station for injured turtles brought in by the public.
- Volunteer drivers transport turtles to Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre and/or the Ontario Turtle Conservation Centre (OTCC) where the turtle can receive treatment.
- Goal is to help more turtles within the Kingston area get appropriate help when they are injured.
- Goal is to educate the public about the plight of turtles through social media, their website, training / presentations, and community events.
- They have a new Turtles Kingston membership where individuals can offer to volunteer, stay up to date with Turtles Kingston happenings, and/or donate money/time/materials.
- Turtle blog to disseminate more detailed information.
- Working on a training program that will be offered to their local conservation authority in March.
- Links: What you can do (https://www.turtleskingston.com/what-can-you-do)
How to move a turtle (https://www.turtleskingston.com/moving-a-turtle)
How to protect turtle nests (https://www.turtleskingston.com/nest-protection-program#nowwhat)
What to do when you find a turtle (https://www.turtleskingston.com/turtle-trauma-response-program#injured)
- Participation in community groups of concerned citizens related to turtles.
- Presence at relevant City Council meetings.
- Awareness of activities within the city and appropriate action to minimize or reduce turtle impact.
- Raising awareness of locations and needs for mitigation efforts.
- Collaborating with partners and articulating concerns.